Thursday, April 8, 2010

FOUR :: week one (food loves)

4 - Four Fridays of CONNECTIONS (forging friendships)
For more info on Four, click HERE
For the first week of Four, we're going to celebrate all that we love...food wise, that is. Is there a food that you absolutely love? Crave? NEED? (and yes, Mom, Coffee counts).

For my food love...well, it's not a big surprise, but I'm a big peanut butter and jelly fan.

There. I've said it. Now please don't laugh. (okay...you can laugh a little bit) It's honestly true.

I know that there's all those people who don't like peanut butter and jelly (shame on you.) But then again, there are all those people who do. Alright, I don't know many, but just pretend that I do...humor me.

I'm not exactly sure why I like the taste of pbj so much. There's something about that rich, creamy peanut butter along with the sweet jam that makes me feel all contented and safe. I always eat around the crust in order to have that pure, undefiled sandwich to enjoy.

AND (for all you non pbj lovers) peanut butter has some good protein, so if you make a sandwich, you can get a good, fulfilling (not to mention tasty) bite to eat. Plus that little bit of jam makes it sweet and delicious...am I convincing you yet?

But the reason why I love peanut butter and jelly goes a lot deeper.

I never liked pbj sandwiches until we purchased the Jif peanut butter. Y'know that rich, yummy, utterly irresistible peanut butter that's oh-so-good? Well, before that, we purchased some health organic peanut butter. Nothing against healthy peanut butter, but when it comes to pbj's, you gotta have the real stuff.

And the real stuff doesn't have a layer of oil on the top that you have to mix in before you spread the gritty substance over your bread.

My mom, however, was not going to buy that peanut butter. (have you seen the labels?) Until my dad asked.

You see, when my dad had cancer, he came up to my mom one day when she was going to the store and went, "Rae, could you just do me a favor? Could you just buy me a jar of JIF?"

My mom answered, "It's gross! It's bad for you--it's terrible!" However, my dad really wanted it, and he had some good memories of growing up eating that peanut butter.

My mom didn't want to buy it--but she really felt that she needed to submit to his wishes. To respect his authority as the head of the house. Even if it meant dropping the Pro-Organic peanut butter status.

And [JIF] peanut butter sandwiches were one of the only things my dad could eat then...

...and that's why I'm a DIE-hard [JIF] Peanut Butter & Jelly fan! :-)



I'd love to hear what your food loves and cravings are! Just join the fun and link up below. Make sure to bloghop around--forge those friendships, baby. ;-)



AAAND...#17, Ab's post Heavenly Cinnamon Rolls

No comments :

Post a Comment