Sunday, December 12, 2010

Choosing thankfulness.

I'm not sure exactly how to start this. I have a sense of peace from my Savior right now, despite my melancholy. You see, the other day, I let my brother, Brennan, use my camera. He took a few shots and ran up the stairs excitedly into the main-level. And then he tripped. The lens on my point and shoot made a funny clicking noise (the kind of noise where you go, "oh no -- please no.") and came out crooked.

Short to say, my camera is broken. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. Since it's a point and shoot, if the lens isn't working, the camera's not working. I believe that I can still transfer photos, and sometimes, I can get it to work to take pictures, but it does have difficulty functioning.

It sounds silly, but if you all could pray for me; for peace and for gratefulness. If I can use my camera, I will, but it's difficult for me, especially when wanting my dslr. At the moment, I cannot purchase it because I can't afford it. I know that someday -- and with God's timing -- I'll get that someday-camera. But that time just isn't now, and especially waiting with a broken camera, it's hard.

God is definitely teaching me patience! I'm slowly learning to make the best of what I have, even if it's hard. Okay, cross out the if. Even though it's hard. I want to be transparent -- I struggle with gratefulness all the time. That's why opportunities such as helping out with Operation Christmas Child are such a blessing for me; they definitely refresh my mindset and do help with thankfulness.

As I packaged the boxes, I found myself praying for the children who would receive the boxes, because they have nothing, and yet, because of God's work through us, they're receiving something -- and more than that, through every box, they're receiving the gospel, through every doll, toothbrush, crayons and mittens.

That's something to keep in perspective, especially this Christmas season. To think of how I complain about not having the best camera, when these children are blessed to receive socks. It makes me cry, because I am so blessed, and yet I can forget, or ignore that, because of wanting more.

Jesus, let my heart's cry not be more, more, more, but thank you, thank you, thank you. Give me eyes to see and ears to hear and work through me -- help me to more and more, everyday, be a part of the body of Christ.

My camera may not be the best, it may not be working perfectly or all the time, but I am blessed with it. And I will not let momentary dissatisfaction cloud the joy that comes from the realization of how blessed we are in Christ Jesus.

So today, I choose gratefulness, despite the circumstances.

Even though it's hard, I will praise Him.

No comments :

Post a Comment