Monday, November 19, 2012

monday lists + a few things about me.




I love lists. I seem to gravitate towards them like some girls gravitate towards a new pair of shoes. Instead of suede or leather or glittery pumps (that I admit, I do secretly have a crush on), I'm drawn to the often hurried, sometimes thoughtful, oftentimes methodical process of putting words down on paper to create a list.

A call to action, a to-do, items to purchase at the grocery store, the fragmented similes of a poem yet to be put together. They all fascinate and excite me, and I save them away much like a squirrel with nuts come winter. They sit stuffed in the nooks and crannies of my desk, slipped in between pages of my journal, hiding in boxes underneath my bed.

Perhaps it's the change in season that makes me excited to begin things, but I seem to collect new ideas and projects like a cozy room with cookies collects people come Christmastime. And so, with 2013 looming ahead on the horizon, I'm going to attempt a list writing project. Not sure how many, not sure how long, but that's the fun of it, after all.

Lists number one through six. A few stories caught in between syllables. Happiest Monday to you, friends.

things that change me.
winter
this Truth
Singing at the piano
Woodland
cinnamon and peppermint
the wonder of the first snow
traditions, history, and family
honesty
friendship and the beauty of coffee dates
anything homemade, handmade, and made with love
heart to heart talks
picking apples at grandma and grandpa's
photos

books that make me cry.
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech
Rilla of Ingleside by L. M. Montgomery
Sky Memories by Pat Brisson
Baby by Patricia Machlachan
The Giver by Lois Lowry

places I want to visit.
New Zealand
Italy
Czechoslovakia
Alaska
Ireland

photographers who inspire me.
We are the Parsons
Rosina W. Photo
Molly Flanagan
Ray + Kelly Photography
Jamie Delaine
Andria Lindquist
Tim Coulson

smells I like.
woodland
the lake
wood, from trees to plywood in home depot
cinnamon tea
freshly cut grass
petrichor
gardens and dirt
my dad’s old shirts
pies baking
my grandma’s kitchen
apple cider dripping and apple sauce cooking
blueberry pancakes and bacon sizzling in the morning at the oak cabin
towels fresh from the dryer
my home when I step in for the first time after a vacation

favorites I love.
the color red
Christmas morning at Grandma and Grandpa's
my Family
Pomegranates
Classical Music
scarves
moleskines
long socks
Starbucks coffee
my grandpa's Duluth sweater that is now mine

No comments :

Post a Comment