Friday, November 26, 2010

Attitude of Gratitude

I've found that it's easier to write something than to live it. If I say that I'm grateful, does that make me grateful? Or if I proclaim my joy, what happens if only seconds later I'm met with some discouraging news that dampens my spirit?

Living out what we say is a harder practice than writing it. And in the example of gratefulness, it means to be content in whatever circumstance.
"I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want." - Phillipians 4:12
Just days ago, I wrote about being grateful for waiting. And I am. But saying that you're grateful means nothing if you don't live that way.

A feeling of entitlement permeated through my best attempts at appearing grateful; the joy and peace I had professed only days earlier fell to the way side by Black Friday ads and an overwhelming sense of, "I deserve this." Where did my acceptance and gratefulness go? Somewhere among the countless piles of food, the attitude of gratitude slipped away and was overtaken by the venomous poison of entitlement.

Feeling like we deserve something is a common attitude in America. But when the entitlement adds itself to our heart and starts clogging up our contentment with ungratefulness and irritation, then we lose our joy. I want to root out the bitter seed of discontent before it blooms into a full-blown attitude of ungratefulness.

So today, I'm changing my mindset. I'm going out to help package shoeboxes with Operation Christmas Child with my friend Allison today and I'm praying that it'll humble me and give me a spirit of gratefulness for all the numerous blessings I do have. Lately, I've been praying that the Lord would change my heart and would give me an attitude of gratitude. I want to live out my life grateful for what the Lord has given me; compared to some, I may have little, but compared to others, I have much.

I don't want to compared myself to those who have more than I do; rather, I want myself to look at what I have (and maybe what I don't) and say, "Thank you, Lord.
I am grateful.
"

Today is the day where I will live that out. I will live grateful. I am grateful. And sometimes, I have to pause, look and see where my heart is at and if it's sitting in a sense of discontent, I need to change my attitude to that of an attitude of gratitude.

Because really, I have so much to be grateful for. I don't need the best or the most to be happy; nor do I really need it at all. I am blessed. And I don't want to forget what is the greatest gift that I, and everyone in this world, has been given.

Eternal life in Christ Jesus by His sacrifice. Our Savior's love.


When I reflect on his mercies and His love is when I feel the most grateful. When I feel joy. The sense of more, more, more is replaced with, thank you, thank you, thank you. That's how I want to live my life everyday -- praising my Savior for who He is, what He's done, and never forgetting how truly blessed I am.

Thank you, Jesus.

Blessings on your day today, friends! Praying that you would all have a beautiful, blessed weekend! :-)

No comments :

Post a Comment