Friday, December 7, 2012

what's on my heart lately + friday lists.









I'm out of words. There are days when I'm full of ideas and thoughts I want to articulate, and there are other days when I'm quiet. When I need to be still and need to process, to think things through, to mull over ideas and dreams. December is a month to plan, dream, and just be. I originally planned to take off the entire month (the joys of homeschooling!) but because of other events, I'm only taking the last two and a half weeks off. In the meantime, I'm busy with last minute assignments, designs due before Christmas, and photos to finish and send out. And so, I'm hurrying and rushing and trying to find time for good, simple things. Learning to be steadfast.

Yesterday, I played piano for two hours and baked cinnamon scones that tasted like Thanksgiving. There's a chance of snow this weekend that I'm wishing will turn into a full out storm because the ground is brown and all our lovely white stuff is melted away. My mom and sister and I are going to Costco today to shop for the family, and if we're lucky, we're picking up a tree on the way home.

Basically, life is busy and the weeks are long but the days are short. And I'm trying to soak up as much of the wonder of this season as possible. This includes cramming cookie making, tree decorating, snow fort creating, photo taking, piano playing, Christmas decorating, gift shopping / making / mailing, and family game / movie playing as possible. Not to mention ugly sweater wearing, Christmas carol listening and singing, and spending as much time with my family as possible. And of course, watching Elf at least three times. I just like to smile, smiling's my favorite!

A few lists (seven to fourteen) for the weekend. Have one filled with whimsy and wonder and joy, friends.

musicians I adore.
Jonsi / Sigur Ros
Amy Seeley
Regina Spektor
Norah Jones
Bon Iver
Ray Lamontagne
Ben Rector
Frank Sinatra / Dean Martin
Mumford and Sons
Jason Mraz
Feist
Iron and Wine
The Civil Wars
One Republic
Coldplay
Vince Guaraldi
Mozart
Of Monsters and Men
The Rend Collective

food I never tire of.
raspberries
homemade bread slathered with butter and fresh jam
my mom's rice pudding
pomegranates
chocolate
tea
oatmeal with brown sugar and a cup of black coffee

sights that make my heart sing.
the world covered in snow
downtown decorated come Christmas time
sunrises
the Woodland sign
my siblings faces after they receive a gift
our clatter of shoes in grandma and grandpa's entryway
trees covered thick in red orange leaves
hay bales scattered on a dusty gold field
blackbirds across a cloudy grey sky

things I collect.
Memories
Old Photos
Notes, ticket stubs, letters, trinkets
My Birthday pennies
Notebooks and journals
Books
Moments

things in my bag.
hair bindies + bobby pins
notes
my Bible
my journal and two to three small notebooks
four pens, at least one of them empty
rings
a couple dollars and a few quarters from my change at Starbucks
empty gum wrappers
a book, most likely wrinkled (probably The Book Thief)
my phone
half-used gift cards
letters waiting to be answered

a (few) things I want to do someday.
Live in Colorado
Cook through Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child
Backpack though Europe
Plant a big garden
Learn how to swing dance
Go without all media for a week
Visit the Louvre
Write a book, if just for myself
Fall in love, get married, and have a big family bustling with kiddos and laughter
Pay for a stranger’s groceries
Adventure

things I need.
grace
contacts
at least five hours of sleep
music
a haircut
a piano to play
my family
a camera in my hands and my journal at my side

a few reasons I love winter.
scarves and gloves
gatherings with friends
baking (especially cookies)
the smell of peppermint
fresh coffee
snow (snow snow snow)
Christmas music
long socks
quiet days
watching the sunrise
poetry and journaling
old books and games smelling of must and memories
cozy sweaters
air so clear you can taste it

No comments :

Post a Comment