Friday, December 28, 2012

the past week and a rainbow on the stairs.










I'm tired.

And I think it's okay to say that.

I have emails to reply to, designs to finish, a room to clean, gifts to mail, laundry to wash, shoots to blog, preparations to make for 2013. And I'm exhausted.

The past nine days my family has been battling the worst cold / sore throat you've ever seen. In the midst of Christmas, miraculously, it looked as if we were getting better, sniffly noses and frequent sneezing and all. But after the tinsel was packed away and the presents put in piles in the Living Room after coming home late from grandpa and grandma's house, round two of sickness sucker-punched us in the jaw. And as you can imagine, it's rather difficult to recuperate after you've been fighting the same cold.

In the midst of it, I'm learning to be grateful for rest. I'm thankful for understanding and grace. I'm grateful that we were able to pull together into some sort of semblance of normal come Christmas Eve and Day, and that even though we're not better yet, we're healing. I'm thankful for new Christmas games, books, and toys to occupy our time, and for all the wonderful gingerbread cookies that I've consumed. My grandma gave me a pack of Chai for Christmas and I'm grateful for being able to make cups of it, hot and steaming sweet in my holiday mug. Mostly, I'm thankful that even though we're sick, it's nothing too serious or alarming. (edit: my second-to-the-littlest brother is in the emergency room right now with a high fever and severe dehydration...prayers for health for him would be such a blessing. thank you so much, friends!)

So, while I have oodles to share with you, a yearly-wrap up to post, shoots to be blogged, and fun + exciting business / personal stuff for 2013 coming up...it will have to wait, just a little bit. Chicken soup is calling my name and I'm learning that there is beauty and grace in the midst of this. And there's a whole lot of joy in the middle, even though it's hard and tiring and trying. Learning to be thankful.

One more thing. I can't count how many times I've ran up and down those stairs, traced patterns in the railing, sat pulling on boots or slipping on flip-flops in the entryway. Christmas Day and the house was quiet and I caught a rainbow from three o'clock light that is a daily beauty. Something about it, I love. It's my grandparents house and the walls that make up the rooms are like home. I love that the sign says Welcome.

Welcome to our home, to our family, to the imperfections that make up the perfect day, for the traditions that are passed down and well-worn yet fit like a favorite sweater. Welcome to the noise and yells and laughter, welcome to all the many broken and missing pieces from games played to pieces. Welcome to homemade meals and staying up too late and movie nights with popcorn in the brown bowl. Welcome to sleepovers at grandma and grandpa's with bacon and eggs for breakfast, the piano tucked in the corner, movies stacked high. Welcome to the familiar, the quiet, the simple, the wonderful.

Welcome.

Happy New Year, friends. Hoping you all have a full and blessed 2013.

No comments :

Post a Comment