Monday, September 3, 2012

a simple summer breakfast




One of my favorite things about summer is the laziness that ensues every morning. Breakfast is pushed back to ten in the afternoon and can include anything from a bowl of cereal to a dutch baby pancake to feta and tomato omelets. We cluster in the kitchen, some of us still wearing pajamas and sleep in our eyes, and gather around the table, smacking strawberries, sipping milk (vanilla coconut is my favorite), or eating bacon, whatever the day calls for. The table is scattered with books and decks of cards and half-empty cups full of orange juice or water or milk.


Yesterday, Chloe made breakfast for our family and it was delicious. I'm sharing the simple recipe with you all today, simply because it was a joy to eat. Sort of like another last summer hurrah, and we ate it up, literally. It was difficult to not lick my plate. I decided to be civilized and drank it up with my spoon. Oops.

Eggs with BĂ©arnaise Sauce
(a BĂ©arnaise Sauce is basically hollandaise with herbs. Also, this is not the most precise recipe because most of it is added to taste based on your preferences, so keep that in mind. :) )
Ingredients
1 1/2 lemons to taste
3 egg yolks
1 stick of butter
tarragon to taste








Recipe
Separate the egg yolks and put in pan with chunks of butter. Heat to medium and whisk vigorously until the butter is melted, then immediately take off the heat so the eggs don't break. If they do break, put an ice cube in the pan and whisk it in until melted. Add the lemon and herbs and whisk together gently. Pour over your eggs (we preferred them fried, but you can scramble them as well) and enjoy.






Today's agenda? We are clinging to the summer before starting school up again tomorrow. We're already consuming copious amounts of chai in order to usher in fall, yet lemonade is in order, if only to celebrate the end of summer. As I write this, I can hear the girls playing card games with my mom, and I'm off to shut my computer and join in the next round.

Happy Labor Day.

h

No comments :

Post a Comment