Monday, January 16, 2012

a weekend getaway





I spent the weekend away from home at my grandparents. A spur of the moment phone call led to being dropped off at their place at seven on Friday night. My aunt, Lolly (really, Laura, but everyone calls her Lolly) and I went out to get dinner, and came back with Leann Chinn. We watched the lakehouse and ate Chinese food while frequently pausing the movie just to chat. I slept on the couch and woke up beyond refreshed in the morning. It was quiet, sun glowed behind the curtains, and I could smell tea brewing. So good.





We went out to a bakery for breakfast and walked the streets before perusing a little bookstore. I got stuck in the cookbook section and found several new titles I'd like to add to my slowly-growing collection, but didn't have the couple hundred bucks to purchase them. The rest of the day was lazy till two, when Lolly and I went to a mall to try to find a birthday present for my sister. We may or may not have stopped at Godiva and Teavana.




After our failed shopping attempt, we buzzed by Whole Foods to buy some dinner, and came back with a salad loaded with veggies and some salmon sushi (which was amazing, by the way). I've only had sushi once before (and that was made fresh by some neighbors) so I was a little apprehensive that I wouldn't like it. I didn't -- I loved it. As soon as you can, get some sushi. Please. You'll thank me.





Dinner was delicious and as soon as we finished, we played a game with my grandparents. Snow fell, wind blew, and we bundled up to go see The Help. I know I'm terribly behind the times, as it came out awhile ago, but I'm so glad to have finally seen it. Poignant, funny, and sweet. I admit it, I cried a few times. Go see it (and bring some sushi with you).




Sunday morning rolled around bright and early and we drove back to my house, an hour or so late. It was such a fun weekend and I'm grateful to have been able to spend that time with my grandparents and aunt. I love them like crazy and don't usually get one-on-one time with them, which made the few days even more special.

No comments :

Post a Comment