Sunday, August 21, 2011

the infamous vegetable

zucchini
I'm not a huge zucchini lover. I find the flavor to be somewhat flat and not nearly as fresh as other vegetables, such as cucumbers. But while making dinner the other night, I found our fridge depleted of nearly all vegetables, save a lone pepper and a couple of zucchinis. I did what any not-a-fan-of-zucchini-but-needing-to-get-dinner-on-the-table-girl would do. I made a side dish.

And I actually liked it. In fact...I'm planning on making it again. (say what?!)

Zucchini and Tomato Sauté

Ingredients
One Green Zucchini
One Yellow Zucchini
Can of Tomatoes
One Green Onion
Olive Oil
One Clove of Garlic
Fresh Basil
Oregano
Salt & Pepper

Directions
Heat up some olive oil in a small pot. Finely chop the onions and toss in the olive oil. Peel the zucchinis and chop into slices; sprinkle with salt and put with onions. Let cook until the zucchini is tender, then pour half a can of tomatoes into the pot. Crush one clove of garlic and mince it into fine pieces. Put a dash of salt, black pepper, and dried oregano in the pot and stir in the garlic. After it's reduced for a few minutes, put the basil leaves into the pot and stir. Top with some fresh basil and serve as a side or eat as a snack.

If there's not enough tomatoes to appease any tomato-lovers, simply add the rest of the can. The flavor is reminiscent of spaghetti and the basil adds a wonderful depth to the dish. Season to taste, but go easy on the oregano. Next time I make it, I have ideas for making it into a pasta sauce instead. Wish me luck!

No comments :

Post a Comment