Friday, March 23, 2012

be still



I've been thinking about quiet lately, and how much my heart desperately needs it. We live in a culture that is constantly shouting at us. Messages coming from every where -- good, bad, in between, just plain clutter -- all sorts of noise sinking in. We live this life of sounds and accept the consumption. We hear things and see things and read things and watch things and wonder about things and ignore our need for quiet.
"He says, “Be still, and know that I am God." -Psalm 46:10a
In the Message translation, it says this: Attention, all! See the marvels of God! He plants flowers and trees all over the earth, Bans war from pole to pole, breaks all the weapons across his knee. "Step out of the traffic! Take a long, loving look at me, your High God, above politics, above everything." Step OUT of traffic. Take a long, loving look at Him.

I know that when I pray, oftentimes, my prayer time is spent mostly in petition and praise, but not much listening. Being still and quiet is hard for me, because my mind is always racing to what's next. I'm always thinking ahead and overanalyzing and wondering and turning a thought or idea around or mulling over something I heard/saw/read.

Be still. Step out of the traffic.

It's so hard.

Above everything. Stop, be still, and take a long loving look at God. Intimately know Him. Not just know who He is, but believe it too. Believe Him and deeply and truly KNOW Him. Intentionally take time to be still, to step away from the clutter and chaos and confusion, and say, "Here I am Lord. I want to see your face." This above everything else.

I'm so distracted by the noise everywhere -- internet, social media, friends, books, movies, family, events, etc., -- that I rarely take time to be truly still. To listen and know and believe with every fiber of my body, and to simply be quiet.I've been rushing around in the fast-paced world, praying and talking to God without waiting for an answer, wondering why I'm not hearing from Him. I haven't taken time to seek His face, to step away and genuinely seek Him.

Being still. Intentionally quiet. Disciplined. Simply listening. This is my prayer for myself. My heart needs quiet -- it craves a personal, impactful, intimate relationship with Christ. And I need to take time to cultivate it. I cannot expect to hear God if I don't cut out the clutter and step away from the noise. If I stood in a crowd, all screaming, how could I assume that I'd hear a friend whisper my name across the room?

I want to step out of traffic and take a long loving look at Him. I want to seek His face not because I feel like I need to, but because I want to -- because I love Him and desire a relationship with Him more than anything else. I want to cut out the clutter, turn off the noise, and hear Him. When He speaks, it's a powerful thing. And I don't want to miss because I'm racing ahead or not listening. I want to be in step with Him, fully aware, walking and loving and listening.

When I'm truly still and quiet, my heart is blessed,
my soul is rejuvenated,
and my spirit is full.

No comments :

Post a Comment