Friday, September 2, 2011

early mornings


Mother
You stare at him with love,
His eyes wide and smile true,
And I cannot help but wonder,
Was I that little too?

He runs around the grassy yard,

Hiding in plain sight,
You chase him while he giggles,
Laughing in pure delight

A worn book in your arms,

And a baby nestled close,
As you read words with love,
To the ones who you love most.

Hannah Nicole

It's a ritual in our home that whenever he wakes up, Sam has a book read to him. It varies depending on who's up, but more often than not, it's my mom. They'll sit in the worn old rocker and go over the pages. I'll hear her point something out and he'll excitedly cry, "dohn deere!" (john deere) if they're reading a book on tractors. I love listening to him laugh as the room is filled with light streaming through the curtains. It's one of my favorite parts of the day.


No matter how early it is, my mom always has a smile (and a mug of coffee close). She'll read and reread the same book over and over again, simply because Sam likes it. And I'll listen to them in the next room, talking together as the world wakes up. The most wonderful thing about mothers is that they teach you about life by simply living it.

joining my mom for friday favorites

No comments :

Post a Comment