Thursday, August 19, 2010

I wanna take a big 'ol bite...

eli hesitantWhat causes our hesitancy in our relationship with God? For me, I know that I struggle with really and truly knowing Him, and completely giving myself to Him, because I know that I'm not good enough. But then, I'm missing the point--completely.

We aren't ever going to be good enough. Yet I persist in thinking that I have to be perfect before trying to form a relationship with Jesus. There's a sense of reluctance and the lie of, "Unless you are blameless and perfect and have fixed everything in your life that is wrong, you cannot come to the Father. You cannot have a relationship. You cannot."

What lies! Yet they are so deeply ingrained that to root them out is painful, and hard, and it takes effort. The truth of the matter is that I am weak without my Savior, and I cannot rely on myself. I cannot save my self. Only He can save me. But I have to come to Him and ask--I can't try to make myself "perfect" and then seek to have a relationship with Him.

There is a point where there needs to be humbling. On bended knees. Crying for forgiveness. And it hurts.

grace scared

Living for Him is not just a one time thing. It's not a fling. It's not something that we can put on the shelf. If you want to get to know a person and become friends with them, what do you do? You'll spend time with them. Ask questions. Learn about who they are, what they believe in, what their likes/dislikes are.

The same goes for our relationship with Jesus. He doesn't want to be the friend that you call on when you need a favor. He wants to be your Savior. And that requires us to be diligent in our relationship with Him. We can say we love Him. We can really love Him. But unless we have fellowship with Him, our love isn't worth much. We have to be active. From passive to passionate.

just tasting

And it's hard. It can hurt. It means that we might have to deny what we want and listen to what He's saying. Give up what we're holding onto and let Him take over. It's a daily struggle for me. Because it is hard. I can't stress that enough. When you give your life over to God, it can be hard. It is hard. But we have Him to lean on. It's a choice though of whether or not we'll lean on Him, or ourselves. Itt has to be Him. Always.

But in the end, we can go from just tasting at a relationship, to eating full out. Savoring it. Enjoying it. Celebrating it.

Living for Him. With every bite. And believe me--when you do that, every day is so much brighter. Vivid.

eating eclairs

No comments :

Post a Comment